Community hosts benefit for woman involved in plane crash near Grand Detour

By  | 

Updated: February 10, 2018

ROCKFORD, Ill. (WIFR) -- Three weeks ago, a small plane crashed into the Rock River near Grand Detour injuring two people. The woman involved in the accident is still in the hospital, so friends and family members put on a public benefit dinner to help her get back on her feet.

60-year old Jamie Nadowski sustained several injuries during the crash. Friends believe she will be hospitalized and off work for about 3 to 4 more months. Nadowski works in Mercyhealth's NICU unit as a transport nurse. Community members donated baskets to be bid on to raise money. They also served dinner had a cash bar, a raffle drawing, and silent auction.

"She’s a great nurse, a great support to our unit. We're a very close unit; we're kind of like a family. We have a lot of nurses; we have a staff of about 140 so we're actually a pretty close working team. I hope that we raise a lot of money for Jamie and help her out so her mind is a little bit at rest as far as bills go because she's going to be off work for several months, so we just want to make this all about her and for her," said Sabrina Larson, a friend and co-worker of Nadowski’s.

All the money raised will go directly to Nadowski to use as she needs.


Posted: January 20, 2018

GRAND DETOUR, Ill. (WIFR) -- Two people are injured after their plane crashed into the Rock River near Grand Detour Saturday.

Illinois State Police say it happened around 12:50 Saturday afternoon. The plane was occupied by the pilot and one passenger, 50-year-old David Manske of Machesney Park and 60-year-old Jamie Nadowski of Machesney Park. They were taken to the hospital with non-life-threatening injuries. The Dixon Rural Fire Chief says the plane ripped through a power line while crash-landing on a frozen river. He says it was unclear if that was what caused the crash, or if the plane had a mechanical failure.

“We made our way out to them with ice rescue suits and a Fortuna, which is an inflatable boat. We found the victims, they were conscious and alert. We removed both victims at the same time and brought them back to shore and took them to the local hospital," said Chief Sid Aurand with the Dixon Rural Fire Department.

This incident remains under investigation by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA).