ROCKFORD, Ill. (WIFR) -- Two Rockford nursing homes were fined by the Illinois Department of Public Health, including one for an incident that led to the death of a resident.
Amberwood Care Centre, located at 2313 N Rockton Ave., was fined $25,000. River Bluff Nursing Home, located at 4401 N Main St., was fined $12,500.
On May 5, 2019, a River Bluff resident choked to death while eating a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, according to an IDPH violation report. The report alleges a worker didn’t mix the peanut butter with the jelly to improve its consistency.
The nursing home was fined $12,500 dollars for failure to provide a resident food in the consistency needed.
On May 31, 2019, a Amberwood resident reportedly had a blister on the right foot that was deemed "unstageable," which led to surgery and intravenous antibiotics. Procedures for the blister date back to March, according to the IDPH violation report.
The Amberwood Care Center was fined $25,000 for failure to monitor a resident's skin resulting in a pressure injury.
IDPH says 27 nursing homes in Illinois were cited for violations. For the full report, click here.