Several animals rescued from Rockton house fire

(WIFR)
Published: May. 1, 2018 at 3:35 PM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

Updated May 1, 2018, 6:49 p.m.

UPDATE: ROCKTON, Ill. (WIFR) - The Rockton Fire Protection District says the Red Cross is assisting the family that lived in the Rockton home that went up in flames Tuesday.

Investigators believe the fire may have been started by the heat lamp in a reptile cage. They say a bearded dragon and three cats were killed in the fire. Five dogs, threee pot belly pigs and several exotic birds made it out alive.

------

Posted May 1, 2018, 3:35 p.m.

ROCKTON, Ill. (WIFR) - Three dogs and a pig are rescued just after 1 p.m. Tuesday from a home in the 600 block of W. Chapel Street in Rockton after a neighbor spotted smoke coming from the home.

Rockton Fire Chief Kirk Wilson says flames left $35,000 in damage to the home but he believes the damage didn't spread to other parts of the home because the owners had their doors closed.

Investigators believe the fire started from a heat lamp over a lizard cage.

No one was home at the time of the fire. The home is currently uninhabitable.