Rockton School District students get carbon monoxide poisoning from school bus

Published: Feb. 6, 2018 at 10:16 PM CST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

ROCKTON, Ill. (WIFR) -- Officials of the Rockton School District are working to find answers after carbon monoxide from a bus caused several students to become sick on their way to Stephen Mack Middle on Monday.

Officials say there were around 30 to 40 students on the First Student bus. Paramedics came to the school and checked out every student. The school district says they have not determined a cause to the incident. That bus has since been removed and officials say will never be used again. The First Student bus company is doing their own independent investigation. Rockton School District superintendent says those on the bus are doing well; most students were feeling better by the end of the day.

"Until we know exactly what's wrong with that bus it's hard to say what changes should happen with other buses, if any, so we have to wait until that happens,” said Rockton School District Superintendent Glenn Terry.

This is the second time this school year carbon monoxide has gotten into a school bus causing students to show signs of carbon monoxide poisoning. The district says the safety of the students is their top priority.