ROCKFORD, Ill. (WIFR) -- OSF Saint Anthony Medical Center's Burn Unit has treated nearly a dozen burn injuries this month.
To prevent these cases, OSF teamed up with the Rockford Fire Department to remind people to learn, don't burn.
Officials say patients have recently suffered injuries to the legs and upper body when trying to ignite trash or grills with gas. The Rockford Fire Department and the OSF Burn Unit are encouraging locals to be extra careful around flames this summer.
Rockford Fire Chief Derek Bergsten says when using caution, burn injuries are preventable.
"By being at your home, whether someone else's house, just make sure you exercise caution around those things that can cause harm to you or your family members," said Bergsten. "A little ounce of prevention goes a long way, and we want to keep everyone safe."
Experts say using gas to power our cars and lawn mowers is fine, but never use it to light a bonfire or a grill. They say gas should be stored in a well-ventilated area and away from ignition sources.