UPDATE: Freeport High School looks to move forward after 10 students are arrested after fights

Updated: October 24, 2017 9:15PM

FREEPORT, Ill. (WIFR) -- After 10 Freeport High School students are arrested on Friday after a fight, school leaders say they want students to be able to come back to class and feel safe. The school says they're moving forward after Friday’s incident.

Superintendent Mike Schiffman says it's business as usual for Freeport High School students. He says the school wanted to make sure to get the students back to their normal routine. Community members even made signs with positive messages on them to greet students as they came back to school. Schiffman says the school wants to continue encouraging a positive culture for their students.

"We have to just continue to focus on the discipline of the students, keeping them safe and the teachers safe and also continuing to make sure the students know that no matter when they come to school whether it’s at 7:30 or 8:30, it's a safe environment for them. We want them to feel that way when they come to school,” said Freeport School District Superintendent Mike Schiffman.

Schiffman says Freeport is made up of 1200 good kids. He says they have a lot of pretzel pride and they won't let one incident take that all away.

No one was seriously hurt in any of the fights. Ten students were arrested. Freeport High School says other students also received consequences.

Updated: 2:36 p.m.

FREEPORT, Ill. (WIFR) – 10 Freeport High School students have been arrested for various fights on the second floor of the school.

Police say a fight broke out in the morning between two female students which possibly caused a bigger fight on the school’s second floor. It was this fight that required emergency assistance because of the amount of students present. Several other fights broke out in the school while police and staff tried to establish order on the second floor.

Illinois State Police Troopers, Stephenson County Sheriff’s Office deputies, the sheriff’s office’s tactical team and an armored tactical vehicle, whom were nearby conducting training exercises, all responded to the high school.

At this time, it is believed that nobody present received any serious injuries.

Updated: 2:10 p.m.

FREEPORT, Ill. (WIFR) – The Freeport School District has confirmed that Freeport High School will remain on hard lockdown for the rest of the day as a precaution.

The school district confirms that the lockdown was a result of several fights “due to community events”. School will end at the regular time.

Updated: 12:32 p.m.

FREEPORT, Ill. (WIFR) -- A spokesperson for the Freeport School District confirms police are on the scene investigating several fights that happened inside Freeport High School.

At this time the school district cannot confirm what led up to the fights but say they are due to "community issues". A call was sent to Freeport High School parents as a result of the hard lockdown put in place.

FREEPORT, Ill. (WIFR) -- Freeport High School is on hard lockdown after reports of several large fights that took place Friday afternoon inside the school.

A student there confirmed at least one fight broke out. We are waiting on further details from police and the school at this time.

Freeport Fire Chief Scott Miller said paramedics did not respond to the scene.

23 News has a crew on the way to the high school and will continue to bring you updates as they become available.