UPDATE: Judge rejects claim that Calumet City football coach showed gun

Published: Oct. 6, 2018 at 4:46 PM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

An Illinois judge rejected claims that a youth football coach revealed a gun during a fight with parents.

Forty-three-year-old Terrance Morris of Valparaiso, Indiana, and 39-year-old Devorah Clark of Merrillville, Indiana, are facing felony charges stemming from the Saturday fight in Rockford.

They were coaches for the Calumet City Thunderbolts when a postgame fight broke out with Rockford Renegades coaches and parents.

Judge Francis Martinez said during Tuesday's hearing that the weapon was found in Clark's car.

The judge agreed to set lower bonds for both men arrested during the melee. A prosecutor sought $50,000 bonds for both men. Martinez set a $25,000 bond for Clark and $5,000 for Morris.


Posted on Sunday, October 7 at 2:52 p.m.

ROCKFORD, Ill. (WIFR) -- Two coaches are in custody after a fight between coaches and parents at a football game at Rockford Lutheran High School.

Investigators say it happened around 3 p.m. Saturday. Rockford police got a call for a large fight with at least one person with a weapon.

At the end of the football game, Calumet City Thunderbolts coaches starting fighting with Rockford Renegades coaches and parents.

During the fight, a parent hit a coach. Calumet City coach Terrance Morris revealed a gun, which scared the crowd.

Morris and another coach, Devorah Clark, were arrested, and police recovered the gun.

Morris is charged with aggravated unlawful use of a weapon and mob action.

Clark is charged unlawful use of a weapon, mob action, obstructing identification, and resistant arrest.


Posted on Saturday, October 6 at 4:46 p.m.

ROCKFORD, Ill. (WIFR) – Rockford police say there was at least one person with a weapon at Rockford Lutheran High School around 3 p.m. on Saturday.

Police responded to a large fight at the high school when they found out that the suspect left the scene before police got there.

Police are still investigating