UPDATE: Wrongful death lawsuit filed in officer-involved shooting

By  | 

Updated February 1, 2018, 3:30 p.m.

UPDATE: ROCK FALLS, Ill. (WIFR) - The mother of a Sterling man shot and killed late Friday night by a Rock Falls officer files a wrongful death lawsuit.

Alfredia Edwards, the mother of 43-year-old Nathaniel Edwards, called the deadly officer-involved shooting, "excessive and unreasonable."

Investigators say Edwards refused to stop his vehicle and instead allegedly put the car in reverse and accelerated toward a Rock Falls officer.

Edwards' mother is now seeking $1 million in damages and wants a jury trial in the death of her son.


Updated January 30, 7:12 p.m.

UPDATE: ROCK FALLS, Ill. (WIFR) - Investigators release new information following an officer-involved shooting that left one man dead in Rock Falls over the weekend.

The Whiteside County Coroner's Office says that 43-year-old Nathaniel Edwards, of Sterling, died nearly an hour after he was shot by an officer.

Investigators say the shooting happened after what they call a lengthy pursuit. Rock Falls Police Chief Tammy Nelson says Edwards accelerated his car toward the officer.

Edwards' niece Melanie Ruff says she doesn't believe Edwards would have had a gun and didn't pose a threat to police.


Posted January 27, 2018, 10:59 p.m.

ROCK FALLS, Ill. (WIFR) -- One person is dead after an officer-involved shooting Friday night in Rock Falls.

The Rock Falls Police Department tried to conduct a traffic stop around 7:45 Friday night on a vehicle traveling eastbound on Dixon Avenue. This vehicle did not stop, so officers followed it to the 1300 block of Franklin Street. That's when shots were fired at the suspected driver.

Information so far indicates the officers acted appropriately.

An investigation is being done by the Illinois State Police Integrity Task Force. Investigators collected dash cam video from squad cars that were on scene.

The Whiteside County coroner expects the autopsy will be scheduled for Monday.