UPDATE: Plea deal offered to Marc Mongan
Updated: April 6, 2018 10:40 p.m.
UPDATE: OGLE COUNTY, Ill. (WIFR) -- The man accused of driving a boat that killed Megan Wells in June of 2016 is offered a plea agreement, ahead of his upcoming trial.
According to the Rochelle News Leader, prosecutor Dave Neal offered the deal to Marc Mongan's attorneys during a pre-trial hearing on Thursday. Mongan's defense has until April 12th to make a decision on the deal.
Mongan is charged with several felony charges including three counts of reckless homicide.
Updated: October 19, 2017, 10:45 AM
UPDATE: OGLE COUNTY, Ill. (WIFR) - Marc Mongan waived his right to a preliminary hearing, meaning all seven felony counts related to the boating accident that killed Megan Wells last June will move forward to a jury trial in the coming weeks.
Those charges include three counts of reckless homicide, three counts of reckless conduct and one count of driving under the influence.
Prior to Wednesday's court appearance, Mongan only faced misdemeanor charges. Those misdemeanor charges will remain in place.
Wells' family expressed relief that the case will move forward with the new charges.
"We'll go to jury trial in front of a jury of his peers and present the evidence and we've always said 'Let the truth prevail.' and I think that's where we're coming to." said Wells' father David Swaziek.
The next hearing is set for Nov. 8 when the prosecution is expected to potentially name additional victims in the case.
Three days after Wells was killed, Mongan was cited for operating his boat while under the influence. In December, an Ogle County grand jury found no probable cause to charge Mongan with felony counts.
This June, the Wells family argued for an investigation into the State's Attorney which was denied, but Wells' parents were named as crime victims. The next month, new misdemeanor charges were filed followed by the addition of a special prosecutor in September. Seven felony charges where filed against Mongan earlier this month.
OGLE COUNTY, Ill (WIFR) - Marc Mongan now faces seven felony charges for his alleged involvement in a boating accident that killed Ogle County mother Megan Wells.
Before today's trial, 47-year-old Marc Mongan faced six misdemeanor charges for reckless driving and operating while under the influence of alcohol.
Now Mongan faces three counts of reckless homicide, three for reckless conduct and one for aggravated driving under the influence.
These charges could result in Mongan being imprisoned on a $50,000 bond.
Wells' family was recently approved for special prosecutor David Neals to take over the case, after they proved a conflict of interest because their previous prosecutor, State's Attorney Eric Morrow, had been a member of the Oregon Masons and Tebala Shrine, of which Mongan was also a member. The family believes Neals responsible for this recent development.
Wells was killed in June 2016 after Mongan's boat went over the back of the pontoon boat on which she was riding.
"We were put in a club that nobody wants to be in, and we just want make sure there's consequences for some actions and look for that justice. That's all we want, that's all we want. And we wish we could have Megan here today, and we can't," said Megan Wells' father David Swaziek.
We reached out to Mongan's attorney's office. It says it feels bad and Mr. Mongan feels terrible about the accident that happened. Attorneys also expressed their condolences.
If Mongan is found guilty, he could face a minimum of three years behind bars and no more than 14 years. The next hearing is expected to take place in two weeks.