Man sentenced 45 years for first-degree murder in Rockford
Updated: Oct. 25, 2018, 4:35 p.m.
Lorenzo Kent Jr. was sentenced to 45 years in prison nearly a year after being found guilty of first-degree murder.
Kent was found guilty after a second jury trial for the death of Donmarquis Jackson in 2013.
Updated: November 20, 2017, 5:40 p.m.
UPDATE: ROCKFORD, Ill. (WIFR) - After a second jury trial, 28-year-old Lorenzo Kent Jr. is found guilty of first-degree murder for the death of Donmarquis Jackson in 2013.
Kent was originally convicted of first-degree in April 2011 and sentenced to 55 years in jail. After an appeal, Kent was given another trial.
Kent is facing 20 to 60 years in jail plus an additional 25 to natural life for personally discharging a firearm that proximately causes death.
Kent is scheduled to be sentenced at 9 a.m. on January 3.
UPDATE: ROCKFORD (WIFR) – A 24-year-old man has been found guilty of first-degree murder in the death of a man shot to death in his driveway last May.
A jury found Lorenzo Kent Jr. guilty in the shooting death of 30-year-old Donmarquis Jakson.
Police say Kent was dating someone who used to date Jackson. Witnesses say they heard Kent threatening to kill Jackson just days before the murder. Kent faces at least 20 years in prison. He is already serving time on a mob action conviction.
UPDATE: ROCKFORD (WIFR) – Opening statements began today in the trial against the suspect accused of murdering a Rockford man in his driveway last spring. Prosecutors say 30-year-old Donmarquis Jackson was shot five times.
Prosecutors also claim a 14-year-old witnessed it all. During opening statements, the state says Kent shot Jackson in the stomach, back and elbow. Police say this all happened in Jackson’s driveway in the 1400 block of Nelson Boulevard last May. The defense argues there’s no eyewitnesses or evidence linking Kent to the shooting.
Kent faces two charges of first-degree murder. If convicted he could face at least 20 years in prison. Kent was found guilty of mob action last month. Right now, he’s serving two and a half years in the Winnebago County Jail for that crime.
Prosecutors claim Kent told some teenagers he was going to kill Jackson those kids are expected to take the stand. However, the defense has already said they’re not reliable witnesses because they didn’t see it happen.
ROCKFORD (WIFR) – Jury selection has begun for the Rockford man accused of shooting a man to death in his driveway on the City’s south side.
23-year-old Lorenzo Kent Jr. is charged with First Degree Murder. He allegedly shot 30-year-old Donmarquis Jackson at his home in the 1400 block of Nelson Boulevard last May.
Kent has already been found guilty of mob action. He’s been sentenced to two and a half years in prison for that crime.