Fire crews give safety tips after resident is burned in kitchen fire

By  | 

SOUTH BELOIT, Ill. (WIFR) -- The South Beloit Fire Department is sharing tips about how to handle kitchen fires after a resident was sent to the hospital with burns.

The fire on Winfield Drive in South Beloit was the result of a resident heating cooking oil for dinner.

When the fire started, the resident carried the burning pan outside. Fire crews say doing this can risk you splashing yourself or your kitchen with burning oil.

Instead, there are a few steps we should take if we find ourselves in that situation.

The first thing we should do is turn the heat off and leave the pot where it is. Next, cover the pot with a metal lid.

Then, pour baking soda on it. After that, spray the pot with a fire extinguisher and call 911.

This controls the fire without the risk of burning yourself.