UPDATE: Behr Iron & Steel fined after man killed on the job

Published: Mar. 10, 2014 at 10:53 PM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

Updated: July 12, 2016

UPDATE: SOUTH BELOIT, Ill. (WIFR) – A Rockford-based recycling center is being fined $350,000 by OSHA after a man is killed on the job.

Behr Iron and Steel Inc. is sentenced five years’ probation and ordered to pay restitution of $350,000 to the victim’s estate.

Back in March of 2014, 39-year-old Alfredo Arrendondo of Beloit died after he got stuck in a moving, unguarded conveyor belt while cleaning a piece of machinery.

The company pleaded guilty to the safety violations earlier this year. Behr was also previously ordered to pay a fine of $520,000 in a related administrative OSHA case.

March 8, 2016

UPDATE: ROCKFORD (WIFR) – Rockford-based Behr Iron and Steel Incorporated pleads guilty for violating OSHA regulations after an employee dies at their South Beloit location.

Thirty-nine year old Alfredo Arrendondo of Beloit died in 2014 after he got stuck in a moving, unguarded conveyor belt while he was cleaning a piece of machinery.

The company admits they did not provide any type of emergency shut-off in case of emergency even though OSHA required them to do so. Behr faces a maximum sentence of five years’ probation, a maximum fine of $500,000, and restitution to the victim’s family.

Sentencing is scheduled for July.

UPDATE: A Rockford company faces nearly $400,000 in penalties for potentially life-threatening safety hazards.

OSHA found 14 violations at Behr Iron & Steel’s Rockford and Peoria locations. Similar hazards were found in South Beloit following the death of a Behr employee a year ago.

UPDATE: The Behr Iron & Steel Recycling Plant is forced to pay nearly $500,000 in fines following the death of one of its employees.

A representative from the U.S. Department of Labor's Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) says the South Beloit location knowingly put workers at risk, claiming the plant exposed them to dangerous equipment without any safe guards. A 37-year-old man was killed after getting stuck in a machine earlier this year. OSHA's investigation also found Behr's safety training was inefficient.

For the full release from the Department of Labor, please click on the attached related link.

Posted: March 10, 2014

SOUTH BELOIT (WIFR) -- Emergency crews are on the scene of a deadly accident at the Behr Plant in South Beloit.

The Winnebago County Sheriff's Department says a 37-year-old worker at the facility was killed Monday night after he got stuck in a machine.

The incident remains under investigation.