Arizona man dies after taking fish cleaner, malaria medication

(D. Myles Cullen / White House, <a...
(D. Myles Cullen / White House, <a href="">License Link</a>)(KWQC)
Published: Mar. 23, 2020 at 7:10 PM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

An Arizona man has died and his wife is in critical condition after the couple ingested a malaria medication called chloroquine.

Banner Health says the couple in their 60s took chloroquine and got sick within 30 minutes.

It’s unclear if the couple ingested the medication specifically because of COVID-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus.

The medicine is usually obtained by prescription, and Banner Health is urging medical providers against prescribing it to people who aren’t hospitalized.

Last week, Trump stated the Food and Drug Administration had just approved the use of chloroquine to treat patients infected with coronavirus. The FDA chief clarified that the drug still needs to be tested.

Dr. Daniel Brooks, medical director of Banner Poison and Drug Information Center, says the last thing health officials want is for emergency rooms to be swamped by patients who believe they found a vague and risky solution that could potentially jeopardize their health.