Grease fire causes $25,000 in damage

ROCKFORD, Ill (WIFR) -- A grease fire in an apartment building causes $25,000 in damages and leaves a woman with a burn on her hand.

The Rockford Fire Department responded to the fire in the 2200 block of 8th street just after 3 Tuesday afternoon. When crews got to the scene they found the kitchen of the apartment filled with smoke. Crews say the apartment’s sprinkler system contained the fire that started on the stove and spread to a nearby kitchen cabinet.

The woman and two children inside the apartment were able to get out. The woman was treated on scene for a minor burn to her left hand.

Firefighters determined the fire to be accidental.