House fire kills father, his 2 young children after he fell asleep while cooking, police say
YORK, S.C. (WBTV/Gray News) – A man and his two small children died in a house fire in South Carolina over the weekend, according to authorities.
Officials said the fire took place at a York County home early Sunday morning, the York County Coroner’s Office said.
The victims were identified as 27-year-old Bryan Patton Jr. and his daughters 3-year-old Malayah Patton and 2-year-old Milani Patton.
Family members confirmed to authorities Patton was the father of Malayah and Milani.
The family and neighbors describe BJ as a great person and amazing father to his daughters.
“He just loved his children and stood by them,” said a neighbor.
Investigating authorities said the fire started in the kitchen after Patton fell asleep while cooking.
WBTV reports a memorial was displayed outside the home by Tuesday morning, featuring balloons, stuffed animals and flowers. The home was still wrapped with police tape.
Authorities said an autopsy and toxicology have been completed and the deaths are still under investigation.
Copyright 2023 WBTV via Gray Media Group, Inc. All rights reserved.