Illinois expands health care coverage for immigrants ages 42 and older
SPRINGFIELD, Ill. (WIFR) - The Illinois Department of Healthcare and Family Services expands the Health Benefits for Immigrant Adults program to provide health care coverage to undocumented immigrant adults and certain legal permanent residents aged 42 and older.
The program was initially launched in March 2022 and launched July 1 for qualified people ages 55 to 64. The expansion is park of Medicaid omnibus legislation that was signed in May by Governor J.B. Pritzker.
“From day one of my administration, equity has been—and will always be—our north star,” said Gov. J.B. Pritzker. “Everyone, regardless of documentation status, deserves access to holistic healthcare coverage. I am proud to expand the Health Benefits for Immigrant Adults program to include more Illinoisans in need of care. We are leading the nation in health equity—and creating a healthier, happier Illinois in the process.”
Covered services include doctor and hospital visits, lab tests, physical and occupational therapy, mental health, substance abuse disorder services, dental and vision services, and prescription drugs. The expansion of the Health Benefits for Immigrant Adults program builds on the successful Health Benefits for Immigrant Seniors program that has provided Medicaid-like benefits to qualifying immigrant adults aged 65 and older since December 2020.
Individuals are eligible for coverage through the Health Benefits for Immigrant Adults program if they meet these requirements:
- Between the ages of 42 and 64
- An Illinois resident
- Either an undocumented immigrant or a legal permanent resident of the United States for less than five years
- Annual household income is at or below $18,754 for one person or $25,268 for two people. The income limit is equal to the ACA Adult program
Individuals can apply for new benefits at any time using the following methods:
- Online at www.ABE.illinois.gov
- Call the ABE Customer Call Center at 1-800-843-6154
- Contact a community service agency for assistance applying in 59 languages
- By mail using the online paper application, or requesting a paper application through the ABE Customer Call Center.
Copyright 2022 WIFR. All rights reserved.