Rockford University lockdown lifted, renews concerns as police investigates

Published: Nov. 2, 2021 at 9:59 AM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

ROCKFORD, Ill. (WIFR) - Classes were canceled at Rockford University for the second time in two weeks to investigate a threat of violence against the college.

To look into this incident, the Rockford Police Department works with campus security to investigate the threat.

Operations are back to normal at Rockford University after the lockdown was lifted Tuesday afternoon. During the time RU was on lockdown, officials asked students and staff already on campus to shelter in place. In addition, they asked that all other students avoid campus until further notice.

Rockford University is under a shelter in place Tuesday due to a threat of violence to campus.
Rockford University is under a shelter in place Tuesday due to a threat of violence to campus.(Rockford University)

Rockford University graduate student Carla Mayor says, “If this happened in pretty much any other country, it would probably make our news because it would be such a rarity. At first, it’s concerning, but then you hear it happened at other universities. Then there was a violent threat at the high school. Then there’s another one today. It kind of wears us down.”

“If there ever was something, we would not be prepared for it because we’d think it’s just another hoax. Not to say a threat of violence against a school isn’t a big deal, it really is. But if you get enough of them, it kind of becomes desensitized,” Mayor says.

The University released the following statement to 23 News, “Following the threat that was made to campus this morning, the university worked closely with RPD to investigate the situation to ensure the safety of our faculty, staff, students and guests. Out of an abundance of caution we placed the campus on lockdown while working with RPD to determine the threat level and we immediately notified our campus community.”

All campus buildings and offices reopened at noon and food service also resumed. Classes and labs resumed at 2 p.m.

This is the second threat made against Rockford University. The first was a bomb threat on October 19 which also proved not to be credible.

Copyright 2021 WIFR. All rights reserved.