Rockford man released from hospital after being shot by Rockford PD, now jailed

Jones is in custody on multiple warrants.
Published: Oct. 19, 2020 at 12:34 PM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

ROCKFORD, Ill. (WIFR) - At a press conference Monday, Winnebago County State’s Attorney Marilyn Hite Ross and the Winnebago-Boone County Integrity Task Force shared an update on an incident where a Rockford police officer shot a suspect on Oct. 2.

“I am pleased that Mr. Jones has been released from the hospital and prayerful that Mr. Jones will continue to recover from his injuries. The Integrity Task Force Investigation continues to move forward,” Hite Ross said.

Tyris S. Jones, 21, was released from the hospital on Sunday and is currently lodged in the Winnebago County Jail on warrants that were outstanding at the time of the Oct. 2. incident. Jones' medical care and needs are being monitored by the medical staff at the Winnebago County Jail, according to Hite Ross.

“My understanding is that he is with assistance walking,” Hite Ross said. "That’s my understanding but again the details of his care I believe are best left to his family members.”

Jones is in custody on the following warrants.

  • Warrant issued July 29 for aggravated discharge of a firearm
  • Warrant issued Aug. 26 for aggravated domestic battery
  • Warrant issued Sept. 21 for aggravated domestic battery

Jones made his first appearance in court Monday Judge Stephen Balogh set his bond at $900,000.

“As with any investigation there are multiple components of information that need to be gathered. Once the investigation has been completed, the investigative materials will be turned over to Winnebago County State’s Attorney Marilyn Hite Ross for review and determination of what charges if any are warranted,” according to Hite Ross.

The Integrity Task Force investigation is still active and underway. Commander of the Winnebago Boone County Integrity Task Force Chuck Davidson says the investigation should be done soon.

“I hesitate to give you a full timeline or a date but I can say that the investigation is progressing nicely it should be done in a matter of weeks," Davidson said.

Copyright 2020 WIFR. All rights reserved.