Rockford Fire Department Offers Cold Weather Safety Tips

By: WIFR Newsroom
By: WIFR Newsroom

ROCKFORD (WIFR) -- The Rockford Fire Department is sharing some quick tips to ensure our family’s safety during these record cold days:

-Make sure your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are working and located near sleeping areas. Carbon Monoxide (CO) is odorless, colorless, and otherwise undetectable to the human senses; people may not know that they are being exposed. That is why a detector is so critical.

- Space heaters need space – if you chose to use a space heater, make sure it is not left unattended and 3 feet of clearance is maintained around it at all times.

- If you have a fireplace, always use caution and be sure to dispose of the ashes in a metal container with a lid.

- Do not use outdoor heaters or ovens to heat your home.

- Use caution with extension cords and remember these are only designed for temporary use.

- Have a safety kit in your vehicle includes additional clothing, jumper cables, shovel, and blanket.

- Remember to properly dispose of your Christmas Tree and when removing lights, check for any frayed cords or other issues.

- Also, think about fire hydrants near your home. Be sure to maintain a three foot clearance around it to ensure it is easy to locate and use in an emergency.


You must be logged in to post comments.

Username:
Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:
23 WIFR 2523 North Meridian Road Rockford, IL. 61101 Business: 815-987-5300 Fax: 815-965-0981 News: 815-987-5330 Fax: 815-987-5333
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 238946881 - wifr.com/a?a=238946881
Gray Television, Inc.