12 large eggs
1 ½ cups maple syrup or granulated sugar
½ teaspoon of salt
2 quarts (8 cups) whole milk
2 tablespoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg + more for garnish
2 cups heavy whipping cream
1. In heavy 4 quart saucepan, off heat, whisk the eggs, maple syrup, and salt until well blended. Gradually stir in half of the milk.
2. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon, about 25 minutes. (mixture should be about 170 - 175 degrees F). Do not boil.
3. Pour custard in a large bowl. Stir in vanilla extract, 1 Tsp. ground nutmeg and remaining milk. Cover and refrigerate until well chilled, about 3 hours.
4. At end of half hour, add 4 beaten eggs to yeast mixture and stir well. (mixture will
Decrease in volume.) .
5. Just before serving, in a medium bowl, beat whipping cream until soft peaks form. With wire whisk, gently fold whipped cream into custard mixture. Serve with extra whipped cream on top and a sprinkle of freshly grated nutmeg.
Store in the refrigerator up to 3 days.