2 cups water-lukewarm
3 pkgs. dry yeast
9 cups flour
1 ~ cups sugar
1 1/2tsp. salt
2 sticks butter or margarine
5 eggs, beaten, reserve 1 for glaze
1. Mix water and yeast in a super huge bowl
2. Add three cups of flour and 1 cup sugar. Stir with a fork and let rise for ~ hour in
a warm place.
3. Meanwhile, in another large bowl measure in 6 cups of flour, salt, and ~ cup of
sugar. Add margarine and cut in with a knife until mixture resembles coarse meal.
4. At end of half hour, add 4 beaten eggs to yeast mixture and stir well. (mixture will
Decrease in volume.) .
5. Add flour-margarine mixture to yeast mixture and work in bowl. If sticky, add up
to two more cups of flour.
6. If you want to make cinnamon-raisin challah, add raisins and cinnamon now.
7. Knead well on floured board until smooth and elastic.
8. Put in oiled bowls and cover with a towel. Put in warm place and let rise two
hours (or until doubled).
9. Punch down. Knead lightly for a minute or two. Divide dough into parts
depending on how many loaves you want. (2 large or 3 medium)
10. Braid the loaves. Place in oiled loaf pans. Cover and let rise as long as possible.
11. Brush top with beaten egg and bake at 350•. Baking time is 25-45 minutes,
depending on size of loaves. Test with toothpick.