MoveOn.org Protests at Manzullo’s Office

ROCKFORD (WIFR) -- Members of MoveOn.org gathered in front of Congressman Don Manzullo's office in support of what they're calling the fight Washington corruption pledge.

The pledge calls for the overturning of the Supreme Court citizen’s united ruling, which allows corporations unlimited spending in support of political candidates or causes.

"There's so much big dollar influence from the corporations. That we feel that if influences the government and it puts and unfair disadvantage to the other 98% of us." said MoveOn.org member Joan Sveda.

The Supreme Court ruling passed by a 5 to 4 margin in January, with the majority saying this was a 1st Amendment issue and that the government has no business regulating political speech.


You must be logged in to post comments.

Username:
Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:

Read Comments

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
  • by Felipe (US citizen) Location: Los Angeles on Sep 9, 2010 at 07:15 PM
    It really is becoming Corporate America and the richest 2% versus all the rest of us, the 98%, the vast majority of Americans. We are finally starting to see how our world is being controlled by their money. The government, in theory, passes laws to protect us from them, to protect our freedoms. But when the government/legislators have to raise money to keep their jobs and the big money guys want to help them out, I think we see what's happening. And it's got to stop. De facto rule by the 2% is not democracy. McCain was right on the money when he called for campaign finance reform long ago. Campaign finance reform is probably our best chance to recapture and preserve our democracy.
  • by Ted Location: Northern Illinois on Sep 9, 2010 at 01:38 PM
    Thank You MoveOn.org and fellow Activists!! We need to expose these corporations who profit off false flag terrorism like 9/11 and the Anthrax, who control our election machines, who run our central private banking system, and outsource our economy. Please vote Don Manzullo out of office and replace him with some fresh perspective like George Gaulrapp. Enough with the state sponsored crimes against democracy going unchecked in our society.
  • by Henry Location: Minneapolis on Sep 9, 2010 at 11:22 AM
    The sun is setting on our democracy if we let corporations become royalty. Fortunately, even some corporations recognize the need to endorse candidates who have signed the pledge, like Mac D'Alessandro who was endorsed by the Boston Globe yesterday.
  • by AJ on Sep 8, 2010 at 07:22 PM
    Maybe MOVEON should do like Richard Dale and actually move on to the sunset!
23 WIFR 2523 North Meridian Road Rockford, IL. 61101 Business: 815-987-5300 Fax: 815-965-0981 News: 815-987-5330 Fax: 815-987-5333
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 102490224 - wifr.com/a?a=102490224
Gray Television, Inc.