Man Wanted in 1988 Arizona Murder Arrested in Roscoe

By: Meghan Dwyer
By: Meghan Dwyer

Police Press Release: On Monday April 16, 2012 members of the Winnebago County Sheriff’s Police assisted Detectives from the Phoenix Arizona Police Department in the apprehension of a murder suspect.

A first degree murder warrant had been issued in Maricopa County Arizona for the arrest of Steven Michael Humelhans (male 41yrs old).

The warrant was issued April 4, 2012 for a murder which took place in 1988 in Phoenix.

Winnebago County Sheriff’s detectives have been working with the Phoenix detectives and determined that Humelhans was living on Edgemere Terrace in Roscoe,Illinois.

On Monday evening (4-16-12) Sheriff’s detectives and deputies, along with Phoenix detectives went to Humelhans’ residence and he was taken into custody without incident.

Humelhans was lodged in the Winnebago County Jail pending extradition to Arizona.

The charge against Humelhans is merely an accusation. He is presumed innocent unless proven guilty in court.

ROSCOE (WIFR) -- A 1988 robbery of a Dominoes Pizza leads detectives from Phoenix, Arizona to Roscoe to arrest a local man.

In tonight's Operation Safer Streets segment, we have exclusive details on what happened and how police tracked him down decades later.

The case sat cold for more than 20 years because of a lack of evidence, but new evidence led police to Roscoe.

41-year-old Steven Humelhans is accused of murdering a night manager at a Phoenix Dominoes when he was just 17-years-old. He was arrested and charged in 1996, but the Maricopa State's Attorney was forced to release him because of a lack of evidence. He allegedly got away with 22 hundred dollars in cash and checks. Police say he locked the victim in the trunk of a car and shot him several times.

Winn. Co. Sheriff's Detective Dominic Iasparro said, "We had been working with the Phoenix detectives, they actually came to Rockford, the arrest warrant was active and we went to this location on Edgemere Terrace with the other detectives and he was taken into custody without incident."

Police say they have his fingerprint on one of the stolen checks. They were thrown out of the window of the get away car,but one of them was found by a construction worker. Humelhans was arrested at his home in Roscoe Monday night.

His family says he has been here since at least 1998. He's been living in Roscoe with his three Children working as a roofer.

• by anonymous on Jun 9, 2012 at 11:38 AM
    This may be a little late, but true just the same. I know this man personaly and he is far from perfect. Hes never had to hide because hes always had his parents money to bail him out.Curious if that will be the case this time too. His daughters mother IS NOT absent and hes NOT the only one in her life as hed like everyone to think. But that just goes to show you what kind of person he is. Hes good at making people believe hes such a good guy everyone takes advantage of. He may not be a violent person, anymore, but hes still manipulative. Its understandable that people that know him now would defend his innocence, they didnt know him years ago. Ive known him since I was 9, and one thing has never changed...Hes always been good at gettiing out of ANYTHING.
  • by jason Location: north carolina on May 12, 2012 at 06:36 PM
    I knew steve and his brother ronnie (RIP) as teens and let me tell you I am not at all surprised that he may have been involved with this crime. The domino's was in our neighborhood. I came upon this article by doing web searches for kids that I knew that were trouble in the neighborhood and this just blows me away. The area where the checks were found are a good 10 miles away from where he lived and was nothing but desert at the time. I do feel bad for his kids but there is a real good chance he was involved in this and he will now have to face justice.
  • by Lawyer2b Location: Phoenix, AZ on May 1, 2012 at 07:31 PM
    Hmmm.. this is a rather interesting case. I have no vested interest one way or the other. I know a lot of $$ has poured into the cold case dept for Phoenix PD to work some older cases. There is a rating system that was used to determine which cases have the highest probability of being resolved. This was on the middle of the scale. To me, what I find interesting is what makes someone 24 years later decide to come forward? I would certainly be curious as to the person's motive. Is it a woman scorned by the suspect? Or is it perhaps someone who was involved in the crime and wants to clear their conscience? Perhaps an inmate looking to have time reduced on their sentence? From all I've read, this guy was a person of interest at after the murder. Domino's apparently hired a PI to help police catch the thief and this person was at the top of the list. There was SOME evidence pointing to him, just not enough. A fingerprint on a stolen check is pretty strong circumstantial evidence IMO. A witness who has come forward after all this time is enough to re-pursue.. although alone would definitely not be enough to successfully prosecute. A good defense lawyer is what he needs... but I wouldn't want to be in his shoes right now!
  • by Dave Location: Rockford on Apr 21, 2012 at 11:00 AM
    Please all you morons that speak of DNA read the facts. They arrested this man on 24 year old eye witness testimony. The infact have absolutely no DNA. Can we say Witch Hunt.
  • by cc on Apr 19, 2012 at 03:50 PM
    Oh my. Where do I start? It's so easy to judge either way when you are not involved...well, I was and until you have lived through the murder of your child or fiancee because yes he was someones son and someone else' soulmate and waiting over twenty years for an answer of who would kill someone innocent of any thing for only about two grand THEN and only then will you know. Eric Rice was a wonderful young man. Extremely intelligent and passionate about the job he loved, his life was cut short at 25. We will never know of the greatness he may have achieved or the difference he would have made in the world.. The man who was arrested then and now may have changed as all people eventually do but if he was the one who murdered the one that I will always love, then he deserves to pay the price for it. What if Your loved one were murdered? What if you waited all day to find out why they didn't come home from work and the police called you to say they were shot dead by a greedy person who had no regard for a human life. Eric's funeral was literally standing room only as over one thousand people came to pay their respects. He was and still is loved and I for one am grateful that I may finally have an answer...God rest his soul...
  • by matt on Apr 19, 2012 at 10:41 AM
    You guys all sound like a bunch of clowns. Arguing with each other over the internet. Dave I an typing this from my telephone so no my structures will not be correct. I can assure you that my level of education is much higher than yours is!
      by Dave on Apr 19, 2012 at 11:04 AM in reply to matt
      Yours is much higher than mine????? What shelf did you put it on? Forget structure. Get your thought process right. BTW higher education you double posted so you obviously do not know how to operate your hand held device. LOL. Get back to taking drive thru orders its lunch time and folks are tired of waiting in line for you.
  • by matt on Apr 19, 2012 at 10:41 AM
  • by Really? on Apr 19, 2012 at 09:01 AM
    Do you not understand every time you attack me I win? Thanks for proving my theory. Everyone is attacking each other. LOL. These posts are awesome. Good luck to all.Hope you lives are as good as you make them seem. Thanks Dave!
      by Dave on Apr 19, 2012 at 11:04 AM in reply to Really?
      You are welcome and good day sir.
  • by Anonymous Location: Phoenix Arizona on Apr 19, 2012 at 04:46 AM
    I was living just outside of Roscoe when this murder happened. Now I live in Phoenix Arizona. I am ashamed to read the rediculous comments that people are making about this man's demeanor.Yes,innocent til proven guilty.Yes it has been 24 years.Yes the is NEW EVIDENCE.So let the detectives and prosecutors do thier job.If he is innocent then post your opinion of the man in question as he lives today insteaed of assuming that he is sooo nice that he couldn't have done this 24 years ago.None of you knew him 24 years ago.People change.He is not being prosecuted for the nice person he is today rather a crime that happened 24 yrs ago.Would any of you feel the same way if it was your family member that was murdered 24yrs ago?
      by Dave on Apr 19, 2012 at 06:33 AM in reply to Anonymous
      Fingerprints do not just rise to the surface off of old checks that law enforcement have had in their hands for 24 years. This is fishy. Period.
        by Anonymous on Apr 23, 2012 at 09:53 AM in reply to Dave
        I can't wait til this is all resolved. I hope some of you are as eager to eat a plate full of crow. Either he is innocent or guilty. Those defending him before the outcome of the trial....hope you are hungry. Those slamming him before the trial....hope you are hungry. Seems like todays society is still ignorant of how the judicial system works. Innocent til proven guilty and how one is with family,friends,the church,the homeless,etc.....doesn't make the verdict.
          by Dave on Apr 23, 2012 at 10:43 AM in reply to Anonymous
          Lets see....There is no where in any post of mine that I declared this man innocent. I stated facts. Fact. Maricopa county is one of the most suspect law enforcement counties in the country. Fact. Joa Arpaio and his cronies are under federal indictments from the federal government for several problems in that office. I further more state that there should be standards when you drag someone across country on a 24 year old case. The first would be due dilligence by local law enforcement to make sure that what is getting ready to happen is based off of good quality police work. I further state that 24 year old eye witness testimony is not valid to arrest someone and drag them cross country after 24 years. Eye witness testimony has proven and continues to prove that it is the most UNRELIABLE evidence there is. Police take training that is specific to leading witnesses in the direction that they would like them to go. It is the same as confessions. 25% of ALL confesions are false. Why??? Because of police interference. Same as eye withness testimony. You want to talk about tampering with evidence and trampling on a persons rights these are two areas where the police consistently do that. This has been provent tens of thousands of times in this country. So is it really innocent until proven guilty? I don't think so. If the local law enforcement was actually interested in protecting its own citizens then they in fact would have told the Maricopa county sheriffs office that they needed to come with good evidence to make an arrest. To all of you here go read the entire case log that is available as I have and you would understand that they had no business coming here to arrrest this man with what little they have. Guilty or not.
  • by Kayla on Apr 18, 2012 at 10:47 PM
    Where to start.. hm. My Dad has known this man for years. I've even met him more than I can count. He seemed harmless to me. He's changed. "Murder once, murder again"? No. His kids.. imagine what they're going through. Now, there was another person with him at that time of the incident, who knows, maybe that person could have done it and not Steve. All I know is that I'm not believing anything until he's proven guilty and there's no evidence to prove the other guy didn't do it. Never believe what you see/read/hear if two people are involved. One person could be blamed for the other's actions. and yes, I'm assuming the other person did it... Steve wouldn't do this. I'm sure of it. Oh, by the way, why would he come here to hide out if they let him go? He came here to start his life over, I believe. He knew he had to leave there and start a new life. You shouldn't judge a person by what you hear. You should get to know the person and then judge.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 147786515 - wifr.com/a?a=147786515