ROCKFORD -- The board of directors for OSF Healthcare System has announced that David Schertz has been named the chief executive officer for the OSF HealthCare Northern Region in its newly reconfigured OSF Ministry organization. Schertz took on his new role effective April 29, 2013.
Key components of the regional CEO position include:
• Acts as the operational leader of a region to ensure clinical and administrative services are organized to meet population/market needs and deliver improved health and performance across our Ministry.
• Provides clarity of vision and thinks strategically about the business to put the right initiatives in place to drive toward the organization’s One OSF strategy.
• Leads efforts in environmental and community stewardship, including commitments to improving community health status, access to care for those in need of services and alignment of day-to-day operations with cultural and/or demographically-based needs of patient populations.
• Develops positive relationships with local industry, local government, potential key health care providers and the general public, as appropriate.
• Accountable for regional clinical and financial outcomes.
• Accountable and responsible for OSF hospital/medical center operations and the president for those operations in that region.
Schertz has served as the president and chief executive officer of OSF Saint Anthony Medical Center since 1995. During that time he has many accomplishments to his credit, including OSF Saint Anthony becoming the market leader in intensive care services; the funding, construction and staffing of the OSF Center for Health – Rock Cut; the reduction of the raw mortality rate by 30 percent during the past 30 months as a result of six design improvement projects that were initiated in league with the Institute for Healthcare Improvement; and OSF Saint Anthony has been repeatedly recognized by patients, physicians and the media as the Rockford area’s most “user-friendly” hospital. Prior to his leadership role at OSF Saint Anthony Medical Center, Schertz was the president and chief executive officer of Progressive Health Systems, chief executive officer of Stuart Circle Hospital, vice president of BroMenn Healthcare, administrator of Eureka Hospital and a unit manager at OSF Saint Francis Medical Center.
While Schertz’s new responsibilities include oversight of OSF operations in Escanaba, Mich., he will remain based in the Rockford area and will continue to be fully committed to this community.
Schertz is actively involved in the Rockford community, having served in the top leadership positions for the Rockford Area Economic Development Council and the Rockford Health Council and continues on their respective boards. Additionally, he served on the Illinois Health Association (IHA) board of trustees for many years. Schertz is a graduate of Augustana College with a bachelor’s degree in business administration. He then went on to complete his master’s degree in administration from Central Michigan University.
“I am very appreciative of Dave’s enthusiastic willingness to accept these new responsibilities,” Kevin Schoeplein, OSF Healthcare System CEO, said. “I expect he will achieve the same high level of success as regional CEO for the northern region as he has for OSF Saint Anthony Medical Center.”