Rockford Public Library Trustees Give Support to Executive Director

ROCKFORD (WIFR) -- Three days after the Rockford Public Library staff union took a vote of no confidence against executive director Frank Novak, the Board of Trustees announced they are making no changes at the position.

Novak has been overseeing library operations since 2006. After hearing public comments from the more than 60 people in attendance at Monday night's trustees meeting, board president Paul Logli said he and the other trustees were confident in Novak's plans for the organization and he will not be removed from his position.

Logli also discussed the possibility of conducting surveys to find out what services people use at the library the most as well as why some residents do not use their services.

• by Jen Location: Rockford on Mar 29, 2012 at 08:41 AM
    There are two issues here that people are not grasping. One is economics. A few people want branches open for more hours, have to have six locations and Sunday hours? Fine, are you willing to pay more property taxes to pay for it? No? Then the library has to live within it's budget. Saff costs, especially health insurance costs goes up every year. The budget soon will not be able to support 6 branches and more employees. Secondly, the publishing world is moving to digital formats. Every year more and more materials will be in digital form, not paper. All libraries will move towards larger digital collections. If you feel the board doesn't care about citizens and what they want, then attend the board meetings every month and educate yourselves.
  • by Whatcnido Location: Rockford on Mar 27, 2012 at 12:08 PM
    I had not seen Martin's post when I made mine but I totally agree with him. I had started to say that the services seemed to go to the 'moneyed' branches. (North and east open six days with west and south only four.Even the main branch is only four.) I have , maintain, and pay for my own electronic library. Other than computers I would prefer the library district to just be a library. Is that hard?
  • by Dave Location: Rockford on Mar 27, 2012 at 08:23 AM
    Paul Logli = bad decisions. That is all.
  • by Richard Location: Rockford on Mar 27, 2012 at 06:53 AM
    First of all, I am not a union supporter, but I have to agree with their decision of a "no confidence" vote against Mr. Novak. This Director and Board has no idea what ordinary citizens want from their library system, but it certainly is not fewer branch libraries, and more e-books availability!
  • by Whatcnido Location: Rockford on Mar 27, 2012 at 06:41 AM
    To much emphasis on electronic media. I can get ebooks sitting here. Not sure why I need music from the library either. Also, that stuff is no good after hours as they turn off the wireless internet at closing.(the reason given was silly. Maintenance?) Could have used that music money to keep my branch open more than 4 days. I love the library, but very frustrated.
  • by Martin Location: Rockford on Mar 27, 2012 at 06:17 AM
    Of course they voted to support Novak, for he is one of the "good ole boys", look at the board members, a bunch of wealthy fatcats. They have no idea what regular library users want from their library system, nor do they care. They listen to the Country Club set, sitting around around using their Backberrys, IPads, and E-Readers, thinking that the rest of population is doing the same. That is where the idea originated to spend more of the library budget on e-books, for that crowd wants more FREE e-books, so why not have someone else pay for them....why not the library system! Mark my words, eventually this motive will totally destroy our library system as we know it! This board prefers to close branch libraries, for example, the Rock River branch is scheduled to be closed, thus forcing its users to either the Main Library and East State, they seem to think purchasing, updating and maintaining a theatre is far more important Something is terribly wrong in their thinking and logic!!
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 144327615 - wifr.com/a?a=144327615