Illinois Lottery Moving Ticket Sales Online

By: Stephen Johnson
By: Stephen Johnson

ROCKFORD (WIFR) -- The Illinois Lottery is ready to go where no state has gone before...online. Starting tomorrow morning, people will be able to buy Mega Millions and Lotto tickets from their computers. Lawmakers hope the digital jump will bring in more revenue to help the state budget deficit...but some lottery players have their doubts.

"I am concerned with protecting my personal information. I do a lot of things online and that's always a concern. I'd probably continue going to my gas station or grocery store to continue buying lotto tickets”, says Rockford resident David Fagen.

A recent Illinois survey showed as many as one million people support the idea of a lottery but don't play. With moving sales online, the lottery hopes easier access will attract those non-players to test the odds.

Rockford resident Allan Harring says, "I think that's a good idea, absolutely. That way you don't have to get in your car and drive, go to the gas station and get them. It's convenient when you're at home."

Illinois Lottery officials say the system will require buyers to verify their age and will also limit the number of tickets each person can buy. Despite the organization addressing those concerns, some people still worry the move may cause more harm.

"I don't think it's a good idea because it's eliminating the aspect of people going into the stores and the local businesses that sell lottery and depend on that foot traffic. When I go in for a lottery ticket, I'm also going in for milk, bread and eggs...everything else I need while I'm there”, says Winnebago resident Brandon Johnson

A big boom to mega million ticket sales is expected with the internet purchases. Illinois lottery research shows an estimated increase of 78 to 118 million dollars in revenue with online sales.

• by lottery tickets online Location: alaska on Jun 10, 2012 at 07:16 AM
    Lotto transforms a game of luck into a game of expertise.Play Lotto the Smart Way & Win, Buy Lottery Ticket and Win Fast using Expert Advice.
  • by Terry D Location: Orlando on Mar 30, 2012 at 07:22 AM
    What is the link or website for this online purchase and is it ONLY for Illinois residents? Thanks
  • by Judy on Mar 28, 2012 at 08:46 PM
    I tried to register for online lottery but they said I need a desktop not a laptop computer. To use laptop I have to hardwire my computer to my router. What the heck is that all about?
      by Dan Stone on Mar 28, 2012 at 08:55 PM in reply to Judy
      Seriously Judy? There's no real difference operationally between the two as far as a web service is considered. Can you send some more info to News@wifr.com about this? Thanks!
  • by Mike on Mar 26, 2012 at 07:13 AM
    John that's actually a very valid point
  • by John Location: Roscoe on Mar 25, 2012 at 09:55 PM
    So they assume by selling lotto online it'll decrease this states infinate deficit due to such crooked and corrupt politicians. Ok so lets just say 13 year old jimmy gets ahold of dads credit card, then what? There's different ways that'd decrease the debt if the state and country; for instance legalize marijuana, tax it and regulate it i guarantee the crime rate will go down and the debt will go away faster. Lottery isn't the only way to fix our corrupt state. Allow concealed carry, get a CASINO in or around rockford if you want to do something right. One guy owns the illinois lottery now a city owns a casino...
  • by Mike Location: Belvidere on Mar 25, 2012 at 02:55 PM
    How are they going to buy the tickets online when Illinois past a law couple years ago NO purchase of Lottery Tickets with a credit or debit Card?
      by Mike d on Mar 25, 2012 at 06:37 PM in reply to Mike
      Mike as long as its from there website its okay. i wounder how long it takes anoanymous or someone to hack it, make millions.
  • by whistler on Mar 25, 2012 at 05:12 AM
    I think it is a great idea. Now I won't have to wait in line for 15 minutes to pay for my gas because some idiot buys 10 bucks worth of scratch off tickets and stands there scratching away to find out the State just ripped him off!
      by Skeptic on Mar 25, 2012 at 10:12 AM in reply to whistler
      Those people are still going to be there whistler...they won't have computers!!
      by Skeptic on Mar 25, 2012 at 10:14 AM in reply to whistler
      Those people are still going to be there whistler...they won't have computers!!
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 144116615 - wifr.com/a?a=144116615