UPDATE: Semi Overturned on I-90 Near State St.

ROCKFORD (WIFR) -- It happened just before 4:30 p.m. Authorities with the Illinois State Police say traffic was heavy heading eastbound on I-90, when a semi truck failed to slow down, swerved into the left lane to try to avoid hitting cars and hit another semi. That's when the truck flipped and three vehicles caught fire.

"One of that saddle tanks on the passenger side of that truck tractor, came off, spilling diesel fuel. That saddle tanks hit into both of the vans that were directly in front of the semi that was struck; as a result the semi that rolled and the mini vans all became fully engulfed," explains MSgt. Edward Petrik with the Illinois State Police, District 15.

The driver of the semi that flipped was taken to the hospital with neck and back pain. The driver of the first semi truck and the nine adults in the two minivans, were not seriously injured.

• by Uncle Earl Location: Belvidere on Oct 7, 2010 at 08:14 PM
    Two words: China container. Far too many on the road with the chassis they sit on not maintained. Look for the report,...tractor could have had maintenance issues, speed,....but see if the trailer had working brakes. Hampshire toll booth some years ago was the site of the small bus and truck collision that killed many passengers who had traveled to Rockford and were heading back to the Chicago area. Truck that hit them,...China container and if I remember the driver was cited for speed and ineffective trailer brakes. Just sayin
  • by Carol Location: Genoa on Oct 7, 2010 at 09:54 AM
    Tiffanie- This accident was caused by the truck driver! The 2 mini-van's stopped behind already stopped traffic. Another semi stopped just fine behind the 2 mini-vans. No one cut anyone off, no one stopped short. It was clearly the second truck drivers fault for plowing into the back of the other semi and into the 2 mini-van's. Instead of bragging up your husband's truck driving abilities, be thankful that out of this awful crash that there were no fatalities. Be thankful that 9 people in those 2 mini-van's didn't die a fiery death and that the drivers of the 2 trucks are all right. This isn't a debate on whether truckers or car drivers are better drivers. There are awful drivers out there that drive cars and there are also so truck drivers that are awful. Likewise, there are great drivers of cars and semi's out there. Don't blame innocent people for a semi driver's error just because you feel truck drivers are never in the wrong.
  • by Christine Location: Belvidere on Oct 7, 2010 at 06:30 AM
    The pictures of this crash look horriffic! It's amazing that there were only minor injuries. Thank goodness that semi was there for a buffer for those people stopped in the 2 mini-vans. Luckily all 9 of them were able to get out in time before they became engulfed in flames. This could have easily been a 10 or 11 person fatality accident. I don't know what happened with that second semi and don't want to speculate. Just very thankful that the 9 innocent people in the mini-vans and the driver of the 2nd semi were not injured. In the story and in the Register Star, the mini-vans and 2nd semi stopped as they should. So there is no fault to the people in the mini-vans or the second semi. My thoughts go out to all people involved and hope the driver of the 2nd semi makes a recovery. If anything, people in general need to be more aware, pay attention and slow down now days. Thankful that the 9 people in the vans from Minnesota are all OK and its unfortunate they lost both their mini-vans.
  • by Tiffanie on Oct 6, 2010 at 06:30 PM
    I believe most of the accidents are cause by stupid people rather then the truck drivers. My husband drives truck and I have seen it first hand. People are ALWAYS trying to cut them off because they're too [deleted] impatient. It takes them longer to stop then it would a person in a car. So remember that the next time you get mad at a semi that's going too slow. You cut them off and they can't stop, it's YOUR fault and YOUR life that's in danger.
  • by Jamie Location: Rockford on Oct 6, 2010 at 02:15 PM
    The past week they have had a DOT van on the right shoulder, well ahead of the traffic backup, that carried one of those big signs that said something to the effect of "Traffic Congestion ahead, be prepared to stop". I wonder if they decided to not put that in place that day? In response to the comment about accidents being caused by semi drivers, I don't agree. I drive I90 everyday from Rockford to Janesville and semi drivers are almost always curteous and professional in respect to their driving. For the most part they give plenty of distance, drive at reasonable speeds, and are careful. They keep their cool even when their are passenger vehicles jumping in front of them to quickly get off at an exit, etc. I have total respect for truckers, this one incident should not be bias torward truckers. Maybe a car up ahead slammed on their brakes, the first truck responded, the second didn't. It's hard to say without being there. It's also possible the driver just spaced out.
  • by Dave Location: Rockford on Oct 6, 2010 at 02:05 PM
    I was just getting off onto State street when this happened. I saw the semi in my review mirror and he was not slowing down. When I passed over 90 he was on his side and people were running out to help. To me it looked like he probably wasn't paying attention or he had an issue with his truck. Maybe they need to hurry up with the construction on 20 so traffic isn't backed up for 3 miles.
  • by Karon Location: Loves Park on Oct 6, 2010 at 09:41 AM
    This is my opinion only, but I think alot of the accidents are caused by the semi drivers. I have seen alot of semi's driving on Rt 39 driving faster than most of the cars. I'm afraid driving next to them. Almost got into an accident a few years back because the semi in front of use lost his spare tire and it went rolling down I90. Heavy traffic at the time. Could have caused major problems.
  • by Drew Location: I-90 on Oct 5, 2010 at 08:02 PM
    Drove past this on the other side, I wonder what the driver of the Semi was doing, I also drive semi in that area almost everyday- the traffic is always all over the CB. So he had to have known that there was dead stop traffic! Or did one of the cars have something to do with it? Best thing is everybody is ok and there was no deaths! I hope the road work down there causing the traffic hold up EVERYDAY is done soon!
  • by Reed on Oct 5, 2010 at 03:46 PM
    I was about 200ft behind the semi that flipped! Very scary!
  • by Doug Location: Rockford on Oct 5, 2010 at 03:36 PM
    Another typical someone needs to be responsable and accountable since I'm not story. I feel bad for the Chief and the victim but it is no diffrent then not having insurance. Do you punch out the body shop owner
  • Page:
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 104372543 - wifr.com/a?a=104372543