Report: Smell, Not Carbon Monoxide Sickened Dozens

By: AP
By: AP

DEKALB, Ill. (AP) -- A consultant says dozens of people at a northern Illinois school became sick from a trash odor, not carbon monoxide.

The (DeKalb) Daily Chronicle reports that assessment comes from Geoff Bacci, an industrial hygienist hired to review the Jan. 14 incident at Cortland Elementary School. More than 70 people to need medical treatment after they complained of dizziness and other symptoms.

The students, teachers and staff were all treated for low levels of carbon monoxide exposure, but Bacci says they became ill from the odor released by a nearby landfill.

The fumes got into the school's ventilation system after being released when a contractor dug into a section of decomposing garbage.

A DeKalb County judge ordered the landfill to take steps to ensure similar leaks don't happen again.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
23 WIFR 2523 North Meridian Road Rockford, IL. 61101 Business: 815-987-5300 Fax: 815-965-0981 News: 815-987-5330 Fax: 815-987-5333
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 244277431 - wifr.com/a?a=244277431