ROCKFORD (WIFR) -- From space heaters to fire places and even holiday lights, all of them can pose a huge fire risk this time of year.
According to the Rockford Fire Department so far this year there's been over 700 fires and most of those are happening in the winter. That's because we're using more things that can pose a threat to our safety like heating devices, holiday lights and even our Christmas trees.
According to the Rockford Fire Department making sure your tree is hydrated enough can be the difference between a containable fire and one that can tear down a home.
"We see a big increase in fires due to heating and fires due to electrical hazards because of overloaded circuits. Those are the two main causes we start seeing in the winter."
Chief Knott says the best way to prevent heating fires is to make sure things like carbon monoxide and smoke detectors are working. He say it's a safety priority because of how much more we're using our furnaces and stoves in the colder months. Firefighters also say we need to make sure if we have an animal, that our pet is not chewing on any electrical cords because frayed wires can also easily catch fire.