Overheated Laptop Causes Fire in Belvidere

BELVIDERE (WIFR) -- The Belvidere Fire Department was dispatched to the 1000 block of S. State Street for a working structure fire just before noon on October 23.

When Fire personnel arrived, heavy smoke and flames could be seen coming from the first floor bedroom of a two story home. Firefighters entered the home to look for occupants and to put out the fire.

The fire extended to the second floor and attic from Interior walls and exterior of the building. Nobody was found inside the home and the family dog escaped once entry was made into the home. Nobody was hurt.

The Belvidere Fire Department was on scene for about 3 hours before the fire was extinguished. In conjunction with the Belvidere Fire Department, the Belvidere Police Department, Lifeline Ambulance, Boone County Rural Fire District #2, Boone County EMA, and Marengo Fire Department responded.

It was determined that the fire began with an overheated laptop coputer left on the bed while still plugged into an outlet. The estimated loss amount is $60,000. The house was deemed a total loss.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
23 WIFR 2523 North Meridian Road Rockford, IL. 61101 Business: 815-987-5300 Fax: 815-965-0981 News: 815-987-5330 Fax: 815-987-5333
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 175492341 - wifr.com/a?a=175492341
Gray Television, Inc.