Lawn Mower Determined as Cause of Fire at Janesville Cemetery

JANESVILLE, WI (WIFR) -- A lawn mower has been determined to be the cause of a fire at a Janesville cemetery Wednesday.

The Janesville Fire Department says before 4 p.m. Wednesday, crews responded to the Milton Lawn Cemetery in the 2200 block of Milton Avenue. Upon arrival, heavy smoke was coming from the metal maintenance storage building. Everyone got out safely.

Crews had to use circular saws to cut open an overhead garage door to reach the fire. Complete extinguishment was unsuccessful for some time due to arcing electrical wires. Alliant Energy representatives arrived later to cut off power. No injuries were reported.

About $130,000 is estimated in total damage. Items lost include four riding lawn mowers, a dump truck and other pieces of shop equipment and tools.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
23 WIFR 2523 North Meridian Road Rockford, IL. 61101 Business: 815-987-5300 Fax: 815-965-0981 News: 815-987-5330 Fax: 815-987-5333
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 216909591 - wifr.com/a?a=216909591