WESTLAKE VILLAGE (WIFR) -- A simple ash from a tobacco pipe is what set a Winnebago County home on fire earlier this month.
It was the Uppman's dream home, a ranch house that sat right on West Lake, near Pecatonica. It took years to plan, months to build, and just minutes to come crashing down.
I looked on the porch and the whole basket was flames,” said Brent Uppman.
An ash from Brent Uppman's tobacco pipe, accidentally set his parents’ deck on fire. His mom and dad were in Rockford at the time.
Some neighbors recorded the destruction, and posted the footage on YouTube, while others tried to save what they could by pulling hoses to the Uppman's yard. Now two weeks later, the family is trying to salvage what is left.
"We have had it all those years, this is the stuff we can't replace.” Some of those priceless items, include wedding pictures and images of the kids. Year-book photos were donated by the children's schools.
The Uppman's say they not only plan to rebuild their home, but their lives.
"It was just stone and wood and there were a lot of good memories but you know what, we will make new memories.”
The family lived in the home for just half a year.