$27,000 Available For All Victims of Violent Crimes

More Video...

ROCKFORD (WIFR) -- Many shooting victims and victims of other violent don't know it, but they can get up to $27,000 from the State of Illinois.

Monday night a representative from the Attorney General’s Office came to Rockford to explain how the Crime Victim's Compensation Act works. It's for victims of violent crimes like murder, shootings, battery, and rape. They have two years to file an application with the state to get compensated. The money can pay for things like medical bills, counseling, relocation, and funeral expenses.

Mark and Tammy Birmingham say they have nearly $200,000 in medical bills after being shot multiple times last spring. They hope the state will help pay some of those bills.

"My insurance would not pay for counseling for us so we stopped going so maybe we can get back into counseling,” Tammy Birmingham, said.

60 percent of the money in the program comes from a federal grant the state pays the other 40 percent.
For more information on the Crime Victim Compensation Act, go to: www.illinoisattorneygeneral.gov or call 1-800-228-3368.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
23 WIFR 2523 North Meridian Road Rockford, IL. 61101 Business: 815-987-5300 Fax: 815-965-0981 News: 815-987-5330 Fax: 815-987-5333
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 218452761 - wifr.com/a?a=218452761