Winnebago County emergency crews have safely cleaned up the scene of a dangerous anhydrous ammonia leak in rural Winnebago County.
An area resident reported the smell of ammonia at about 2:30 Monday morning. Officials confirmed an anhydrous ammonia leak at Landmark Industries, and immediately shut down the area.
After firefighters fixed the leaking tank, the Shirland Fire Department brought out a fire hose. Firefighters sprayed the ammonia cloud with water to knock it harmlessly to the ground. No injuries are reported.
Anhydrous ammonia is commonly used on farms, but can damage lungs if breathed in high concentrations. It's also an ingredient for manufacturing methamphetamine.
Investigators say they do not know at this time whether the leak is related to criminal activity.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.