House Fire Displaces Family

By: Mark Berman
By: Mark Berman

Fire officials say a smoke detector saved a family from an overnight house fire in Rockford.

Firefighters were called for the fire just after 2 a.m. Wednesday morning at 5210 Village Court. Investigators say the fire started in the basement and spread to the first floor.

Smoke detectors woke up the sleeping family inside. Nobody was injured. Inspectors say careless use of cigarettes started the fire. The fire did approximately $80,000 worth of damage.

The family is temporarily staying at another family member's house.


23 WIFR 2523 North Meridian Road Rockford, IL. 61101 Business: 815-987-5300 Fax: 815-965-0981 News: 815-987-5330 Fax: 815-987-5333
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 2991336 - wifr.com/a?a=2991336
Gray Television, Inc.