A Winnebago County man died Friday morning after accidentally setting himself on fire while burning leaves. Eighty-two-year-old Godfrey Wenger inhaled the smoke and passed out, falling into the burning pile.
Winnebago County Sheriff's department says Wenger had a history of medical conditions and for many, burning leaves can be a hazard. Godfrey Wenger fainted after inhaling smoke from a pile of burning leaves. Godfrey was flown to a hospital in Madison with burns over sixty percent of his body. Winnebago County Sheriff's department says they've had close calls in the past with bonfires but this is a rare fatal death from leaf burning.
While Godfrey had a history of medical problems, Winnebago County says this unfortunate death serves as a reminder. They say those with medical problems need to be careful around burning leaves. This death has been ruled accidental.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.