There was a deadly house fire in Belvidere Wednesday afternoon.
The fire started shortly after 3 p.m. The family arrived to find their home engulfed in flames and 37-year-old Edward Fick, trapped inside when firefighters arrived they say that the house at 508 E. Locus Street was nearly totally engulfed in flames. A man on the second floor tried to escape but became trapped as the flames quickly raced through this two story wooden home.
When the family arrived they say they could hear this man screaming for help, but the blaze was so intense firefighters were unable to reach him.
Firefighters say they will have to wait until today to try to piece together what happened. The extent of the damage is so severe they say that they don't want to risk having the structure fall down on top of them.
A preliminary investigation indicates the fire may have started accidentally.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.