In the second year of his five-year plan to balance Harlem's education fund, Superintendent Dr. Pat Deluca proposed his cuts for next year, cuts far less deep than last year.
After the Harlem school district cut $2.2 million for this school year, Deluca proposed cuts of more than $550,000 for next year. Those proposed cuts include no Harlem full-time teacher or coach positions. The biggest reduction is $215,000 to realign special education coordinators, which Deluca says will be funded by a federal grant.
Despite proposing cuts in building and department budgets for the second straight year, the superintendent believes this budget won't cut into the Harlem's educational bone.
"We feel these are cuts that don't affect teachers, coaches’ positions and still not touch the core education program," Deluca said.
This Saturday from 8 a.m. to 12 noon, Harlem district leaders will host the first of three open discussions about next year's budget..
Dr. Pat Deluca says two financial unknowns remain for the 2005-2006 school year. First, how much state aid Harlem will receive. Second, the resolution from the Harlem teachers and district's arbitration.