Some local students sharpened their leadership skills today at the YMCA Camp Winnebago.
Teens began the first phase of the program using the new high ropes course, which teaches kids how to communicate, work together and problem solve. More than one hundred and fifty students from Eisenhower, West and RESA Middle School will participate in the newly developed Rockford Rotary Club's Academy Program.
The Rotary Academy Program will continue through out the school year.
wifr.com Extended Web Coverage
- 1851 - Thomas Sullivan founded the first YMCA in the U.S.
- 1885 - Sumner Dudley started YMCA Camping.
- 1891 - James Naismith poses with the first basketball team.
- 1910 The first Father's Day is observed at the Spokane, WA. YMCA.
- 1926 - The YMCA in Richmond Heights, MO. launched the first Y-Indian Guides, a parent child program.
- 1936 - Basketball became an Olympic sport.
- 1950 - YMCAs operate 20 colleges across America.
- 1961 - President John F. Kennedy founded Peace Corps, patterned after the YMCA World Service program started more than 70 years before.
- 1964 - Volleyball, invented at a YMCA in 1895, becomes an Olympic sport.
- 1971 - Leo Marsh created the YMCA Black Achievers program to encourage leadership among black youth.
- 1991 - Basketball, invented at a YMCA turns 100 years old.
- 1997 - YMCA in America formally adopt one logo and the theme "We build strong kids, strong families and strong communities."
- 2000 - YMCAs are the nation's largest provider of child care, serving 500,000 kids each year.
- 2001 - YMCA celebrates 150 years in America. The 2,400 YMCAs are the nations largest, not-for-profit community service organizations, serving more than 17 million people.
Source: www.ymca.net (YMCA Web site) contributed to this report