JANESVILLE (WIFR) -- For those needing to have their taxes prepared or if you're confused by federal state tax forms, Blackhawk Technical College's accounting and administrative professional students are offering to decipher the language, crunch the numbers, and do their tax preparation for FREE if you have an income of $49,000 or less.
Approved by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and under the guidance of BTC instructors, Patti DeGarmo and Kay Fratianne, participating BTC students are volunteering their time and talents as part of the VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance) Program. Clients interested in using the BTC service can call (608) 743-4577 to make an appointment. Appointments are scheduled for Tuesdays, between 1 and 3:15 p.m. and all client information is handled in a confidential and professional manner. The program will be available to the public until April 2.
Since the program’s inception, BTC’s student have completed hundreds of tax returns. According to DeGarmo, the program has served anywhere from 200 to 400 clients per tax season.
Those who plan to use this service should bring the following documents and meet the specific requirements.
ITEMS TO BRING
• Proof of identification (picture ID)
• Social Security card for you, spouse and dependents
• Birth dates for you, your spouse, and dependents on the tax return
• Wage and earning statements (i.e. W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, 1099-misc from all employers)
• Interest and dividend statements from banks (forms 1099)
• A copy of last year’s federal and state tax returns, if available
• Proof of bank account routing numbers and account numbers for direct deposit, such as a blank check.
SERVICES THAT ARE NOT PROVIDED
• Married filing separate
• Head of household for married taxpayers
• Schedule C, E and F forms
• Incomes over $49,000 per year