Two Loves Park Homes Ravaged by Flames

By: Meghan Dwyer Email
By: Meghan Dwyer Email

LOVES PARK (WIFR) -- Flames engulfed two house fires in Loves Park Thursday afternoon.

The first, at 402 Coronado Drive, was started by a dead tree limb that fell onto a power line. The grass caught fire in the backyard and the entire back porch went up in flames.

The Fire Department says nobody was in the home at the time, but they did rescue a dog trapped inside. Neighbors thought there might be a cat inside, too, but it was never found.

The owners of the home didn't know the house was on fire. The Fire Chief left messages on their cell phones.

He said the fire might have been prevented if they had noticed the dead tree limb and had called ComEd to take it down.

Firefighters from other cities came in to help, especially since firefighters needs to rotate in and out of duty in the heat.

Just four miles away a second home went up in smoke on Valhalla Drive. The homeowner's son says he thinks the blaze was started by a cigarette.

His father was asleep inside when the fire started, but was awakened by his barking dog. He made it out safely.

You must be logged in to post comments.

Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:
23 WIFR 2523 North Meridian Road Rockford, IL. 61101 Business: 815-987-5300 Fax: 815-965-0981 News: 815-987-5330 Fax: 815-987-5333
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 162298556 -
Gray Television, Inc.