Firefighters Warn of Increased Fire Danger in Winter

By: Raquel Moore
By: Raquel Moore

ROCKFORD (WIFR) -- With all of this snow and cold weather, a lot of us are using our fire places and space heaters to stay warm, but they can be dangerous.

After an area home went up in flames Thursday, the Blackhawk Fire Deptartment says they believe electric cords sparked the blaze forcing the family who lived there to find somewhere else to stay.

Fires like this are more common than we may think. According to the US Fire Administration, overloaded outlets, space heaters and fire places cause more than two million dollars each year in damage.

"Things like space heaters and wood burning stoves you should have at least a three foot space between those and any combustible objects like the wall or like the floor. Hot ashes fall down so you should have a metal tray beneath the wood burning stove."


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
23 WIFR 2523 North Meridian Road Rockford, IL. 61101 Business: 815-987-5300 Fax: 815-965-0981 News: 815-987-5330 Fax: 815-987-5333
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 234992221