Weatherization Program Funds Still Available for Rockford

ROCKFORD (WIFR) -- The City of Rockford Human Services Department is continuing to take applications for the Illinois Home Weatherization Assistance Program (IHWAP) which targets low income residents with high energy bills for weatherization upgrades to make the home more energy efficient. Depending on the circumstances and condition of the home or apartment, these upgrades can include: sealing cracks with weather stripping and caulk, insulating attics and walls, and repairing windows and doors. Weatherization services also include a heating systems inspection by an experienced heating contractor to ensure the units are safe and in satisfactory working condition.

Applicants must be residents of Winnebago and Boone Counties and households must meet the following criteria: be eligible for the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP), or have an occupant receiving Supplemental Security Income (SSI), Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), or Aid to Aged and Blind and Disabled (AABD). All households must be at or below the following annual income: household of one, $22,340; household of two, $30,260; household of three, $38,180; household of four, $46,100.

To apply, residents must bring a state photo ID, i.e. Driver’s License or Illinois State ID, proof of gross income from all household members 18 years and older for one year prior to the application date, a copy of current heat and electric bills issued within the last 30 days, proof of Social Security numbers for all household members, and proof of home ownership. If applicant receives assistance from the Illinois Department of Human Services, they must bring proof that the household receives TANF or other benefits, such as Medical Eligibility or SNAP. Some rental properties may also be eligible. Residents can apply at the Community Services Division of the City of Rockford Human Services Dept. 555 N. Court St, Suite 301, on Fridays from 8:00am – 4:00pm. For more information, call 815-987-5711.

IHWAP is administered by the Office of Energy Assistance at the Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity (DCEO).

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus