ROCKFORD (WIFR) -- A small amount of mercury was spilled this afternoon at Flinn Middle School when a teacher dropped a handheld mercury thermometer in a classroom.
No students came in contact with the drop, and district staff followed existing protocol to properly dispose of the mercury. Most of the mercury was contained inside the thermometer. As a precaution, the classroom was evacuated and secured, and an environmental trades worker utilized a mercury spill kit to clean the floor.
With proper handling and disposal, there is no threat to human health. No further action or reporting is required, and school will continue as normal.