ROCKFORD (WIFR) -- Rockford Park District offers many ways the public and boaters can enjoy the Rock River. In late summer 2012, Rockford Park District completed construction of a new boat dock just outside Nicholas Conservatory & Gardens, 1354 N. 2nd Street, Rockford, IL. The new 90-foot dock provides Rockford Park District’s Forest City Queen riverboat with a new place to dock, and the public with a new boat tie-up location, with space for three additional boats. The dock was made possible thanks to an anonymous donation.
Other Rockford Park District docking facilities include:
• Short-term boat tie-ups and docking available at Beattie Park and Waterside Plaza in downtown Rockford
• Docks for tie-up are also located at Luther Center/Rockford Public Library (end of Mulberry St., downtown Rockford)
• Seasonal docks are installed in the spring (April/May) and removed in the fall (October/November)
• Sportscore One and South Park docks remain in the water year-round
• Atwood Park features a canoe/kayak landing on the Kishwaukee River
Rockford Park District also offers four boat launch areas:
• Sportscore One - 1288 Elmwood Rd., Rockford, IL
• South Park -126 Lane St. (behind St. Elizabeth Center), Rockford, IL
• Martin Park -River Lane and Sheridan, Loves Park, IL
• Just north of Riverview Ice House 324 N. Madison St., Rockford, IL (additional boat trailer parking lot available south of the Riverview Ice House and Jr. IceHogs Training Facility off Madison St., Rockford)
For more information, visit www.rockfordparkdistrict.org, or call 815-987-8800.