Rockford Fire Department Offers Cold Weather Safety Tips

By  | 

ROCKFORD (WIFR) -- The Rockford Fire Department is sharing some quick tips to ensure our family’s safety during these record cold days:

-Make sure your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are working and located near sleeping areas. Carbon Monoxide (CO) is odorless, colorless, and otherwise undetectable to the human senses; people may not know that they are being exposed. That is why a detector is so critical.

- Space heaters need space – if you chose to use a space heater, make sure it is not left unattended and 3 feet of clearance is maintained around it at all times.

- If you have a fireplace, always use caution and be sure to dispose of the ashes in a metal container with a lid.

- Do not use outdoor heaters or ovens to heat your home.

- Use caution with extension cords and remember these are only designed for temporary use.

- Have a safety kit in your vehicle includes additional clothing, jumper cables, shovel, and blanket.

- Remember to properly dispose of your Christmas Tree and when removing lights, check for any frayed cords or other issues.

- Also, think about fire hydrants near your home. Be sure to maintain a three foot clearance around it to ensure it is easy to locate and use in an emergency.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus