ROCKFORD (WIFR) -- Rockford Memorial Hospital (RMH) has again been recognized for its high quality of care, receiving numerous awards from HealthGrades, the leading provider of information to help consumers make an informed decision about a physician or hospital. The awards were presented to hospital physicians and staff on Friday, November 16.
Among this most recent list of accomplishments, most significantly, the hospital is ranked in the top 10 percent nationally for spine surgery and is ranked #1 in the state of Illinois for spine surgery, the first-ever top designation for a local hospital.
These rankings were part of a report, American Hospital Quality Outcomes 2013: HealthGrades Report to the Nation, that evaluates how approximately 4,500 hospitals nationwide performed on risk-adjusted mortality and complication rates for nearly 30 of the most common conditions treated and procedures performed from 2009 through 2011. The 17 awards are listed below:
• Five-Star Recipient for Treatment of Sepsis in 2013
• Five-Star Recipient for Treatment of Stroke in 2013
• Five-Star Recipient for Treatment of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease for 7 Years in a Row (2007-2013)
• Five-Star Recipient for Treatment of Pneumonia for 11 Years in a Row (2003-2013)
Back and Neck Surgery
• Five-Star Recipient for Non-Spinal Fusion Back and Neck Surgery in 2013
• Five-Star Recipient for Spinal Fusion Back and Neck Surgery for 7 Years in a Row (2007-2013)
• Five-Star Recipient for Total Knee Replacement for 2 Years in a Row (2012-2013)
• Five-Star Recipient for Joint Replacement for 2 Years in a Row (2012-2013)
• Five-Star Recipient for Overall Orthopedic Services for 4 Years in a Row (2010-2013)
• Ranked #9 in Illinois for Overall Orthopedic Services in 2013
• Ranked Among the Top 10 in IL for Overall Orthopedic Services for 4 Years in a Row (2010-2013)
• Five-Star Recipient for Spine Surgery for 5 Years in a Row (2009-2013)
• Ranked Among the Top 10 in IL for Spine Surgery for 7 Years in a Row (2007-2013) (Ranked 1 in 2013)
• Ranked #1 in Illinois for Spine Surgery in 2013
• Ranked Among the Top 10% in the Nation for Spine Surgery in 2013
• Recipient of the HealthGrades Spine Surgery Excellence Award™ in 2013
• One of HealthGrades America’s 100 Best Hospitals for Spine Surgery™ in 2013.
Hospital outcomes and complication rates are important in the eyes of consumers making choices today about their healthcare. According to new research conducted by Harris Interactive for HealthGrades, 90 percent of Americans in 27 top designated market areas agree they would be more likely to choose—or not choose—a hospital if they could learn ahead of time their chances of complications for a certain procedure.
For its analysis, HealthGrades evaluated approximately 40 million Medicare hospitalization records for services performed from 2009 through 2011 at approximately 4,500 short-term, acute care hospitals nationwide. Patients being treated in hospitals receiving 5 stars have, on average, 61 percent lower risk of experiencing a complication while in the hospital than if they were treated by hospitals receiving 1 star (based on 2009-2011 data across nine common procedures and diagnoses such as total knee replacement, gallbladder, and spine surgeries).