New Teacher Evaluation System Creating Problems

SPRINGFIELD, Ill. (AP) -- This is the first school year that 34 Illinois school districts will begin grading teachers on whether their students' test scores are improving, but the state's slow method of implementing a new teacher evaluation system is creating problems.

The evaluation timeline is the reason Illinois was rejected in its request to obtain a waiver from the federal No Child Left Behind Act.

School officials involved with the changes say there's little state support available for districts that don't have a large administrative staff or can't afford to hire outside help.

By 2016, Illinois law says 70 percent of a teacher's evaluation will have to be based on performance in the classroom in all 866 public school districts. The other 30 percent will be based on students' improvement on test scores.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
23 WIFR 2523 North Meridian Road Rockford, IL. 61101 Business: 815-987-5300 Fax: 815-965-0981 News: 815-987-5330 Fax: 815-987-5333
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 220375801 - wifr.com/a?a=220375801
Gray Television, Inc.