BELOIT (WIFR) – Beloit Memorial High School, which was named in honor of the World War II Veterans, is creating a wall to pay respect to those BMHS alumni that have served in the armed forces.
Beloit High School was originally built in 1867 and opened in July of 1868. The original location (220 West Grand Avenue) closed by 1951 when the school was moved to the present site, 1225 Fourth Street. The school was dedicated to the veterans of World War II, and therefore renamed Beloit Memorial High School.
The wall will feature pictures and brief descriptions of each honoree, by decade, displayed prominently in the main hallway in glass cases. The hope is to create not only student awareness of the origin of their school name, but also appreciation for all those that served in order to protect the lives and freedoms of others.
Honorees can be living or deceased, served during war or peacetime, but must be an alum of BMHS. Major Monte Eldert with the school’s JROTC program is implementing this new feature for the school. In addition to a name and picture, Major Eldert also is asking for branch of service, years of service, and the BMHS graduating class year. Information can be submitted either by email (BMHSVets@gmail.com) or dropped off/mailed to BMHS, c/o Major Monte Eldert, 1225 Fourth Street, Beloit, WI 53511.
There is no deadline and honorees will be added to the wall as they come in.