STATELINE (WIFR) -- Keep Northern Illinois Beautiful Recycle Centers in Rockford, at 4665 Hydraulic Road, and Roscoe, at 13125 N. 2nd Street, will be open on Saturday, August 30 from 9 a.m. until noon, during Labor Day Weekend. The Recycle Centers are also accepting new children’s gym shoes sizes 12-4 as a community drop-off site for Annie’s Locker Share A Pair through September 16.
“When celebrating with friends and family this weekend we hope residents provide bins for recycling,” said Lori Gummow, executive director of Keep Northern Illinois Beautiful. She added, “All recyclables can be brought to the Center Saturday or next week; we’re open in Rockford on Tuesdays from 3-6 p.m. and every Saturday in both locations.”
The following clean (rinsed) items are always accepted at the two Recycle Centers:
- Glass Containers: Food jars and bottles only. No caps or lids.
- Plastic Containers: Bottles coded #1 and #2 with “necks and shoulders.” No caps or lids.
- Metal Cans: Food cans only.
- Aluminum: Cans and scrap (foil, pie tins, etc.)
- Electronics and Appliances: Anything with a cord, including cell phones, but no TVs or
computer monitors; no items with Freon such as dehumidifiers.
- Metals: Any type of steel or metal item except no propane tanks.
- Bagged Clothing: Wearable or not; shoes, belts, hats, throw rugs, curtains, linens,
- Corrugated Cardboard, flattened; no pizza boxes.
- Paper, in paper bags: newspapers, mail, office paper, phone books, spiral notebooks,
chipboard and magazines.
Support for the Rockford Recycle Center this year is provided by UTC Aerospace. For more information or to volunteer at one of Keep Northern Illinois Beautiful’s events, email Martha Byrnes at Martha@knib.org or call 815-637-1343.